Monday, February 21, 2011

Something I’m proud of

One of the goals I set for our family in 2010 was to make an organized effort of teaching our children to have giving hearts. So the idea was born to do a giving project each month with our kids. It had to be something "hands on" for them so it wasn't just mom or dad doing it. Let me preface this by saying I am not posting this to brag on myself – that's not my intent or heart (if you know me, I hope you would agree). I just wanted to share this in hopes that it might inspire someone else, or spark an idea. I get so many of my ideas from reading other blogs! My parents instilled such a heart for giving in my brother and I, so I want to do the same with my kids. I had a plan that worked for us and since I set it as a goal, I was motivated to find a project we could do each month!
What fun we had giving back to others in 2010! Here is what we did: January – collected coats, hats & gloves for our Community resource center; February – filled backpacks of weekend food for kids in need; March – made cinnamon rolls & passed out to postal worker, garbage truck driver, librarian, hair stylist; April – picked up trash in our neighborhood; May – made gifts for their teachers; June – made & passed out flower pots in assisted living / nursing home; July – sent a package to a soldier; August – collected pencils for The Pencil Project; September – donated & filled sacks in our church's food pantry; October – made cookies for a neighbor with cancer; November – Operation Christmas Child; December – made chocolate popcorn for each of our neighbors.

It was definitely work and we found things that they could "do". I'm so proud of them. My 6 year old really got into everything we did – it was having an impact on him. My 3 year old didn't exactly understand everything, but I trust that he learned as well (even though, many times it would have been easier to just leave him home – we pushed through)! We enjoyed doing this so much and plan to do it again this year. We have been blessed so much by God and out of that abundance, we give! Hope you are inspired too! Happy giving in 2011!


"It is more blessed to give than to receive"

Acts 20:35
Tara

1 comment:

  1. Love this...you are teaching them such an important lesson in life thru this. Thanks for sharing.:)

    ReplyDelete